Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Why do I have Leg Pain When I Run?

I recently began running and went from not ever running to running about a 5k three to four  times a week.  I notice my endurance has increased  obviously over the past three months.  I notice cramping in the legs the first ten to fifteen minutes in the run and it tapers off on the second half of the run.  Cramping in the feet and ankles Is caused by a demand and supply problem.  Not enough oxygen is being supplied by the arteries to the muscles that connect to the foot, ankle and leg.  Going up hills is the worst where the cramping gets more severe.  Some believe running faster up the hill is better, and others believe a slow steady run and slow breathing pattern works to decrease the cramping.  I have taken the latter of the two thought processes and slow my pace slightly while going uphill, along with slowing my breath.  

I enjoy running because there is a sense of personal achievement and accomplishment.  When you achieve the personal goals that you have set forth with running, not only do you feel healthier, but there is a sense of pride.  I am looking forward to going further in my running and developing relationships with people that have the same goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment